[Foundation-l] Wikimedia mirrors

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 07:52:45 UTC 2010

I suggested a similar idea in another thread in this mailing list.
Seriously, I don't know why after 10 years (since Wikipedia creation), we
haven't used a similar mirror system like GNU/Linux ISOs.

Some weeks ago, I wrote a script (I can share it with interested people) to
download every 7z pages-meta-history file from download.wikimedia.org, and
it wasted only about 100 GB. In only 100 GB, we have the whole texts and
histories in all languages in all projects. Very cheap. In the future, we
can talk about images backup, ect, but I don't really understand why
Wiki[mp]edia texts are not replicated to *every* country in the world, to
avoid be vulnerable to disasters, human errors, censorship, ect.