[Foundation-l] Update on the fundraiser

Philippe Beaudette pbeaudette at wikimedia.org
Sun Sep 12 18:46:32 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I wanted to just do a quick update to this list about the status of
the Fundraiser.

As you know, we committed to making this a highly collaborative
process, and I'm very pleased with how that's working out so far.  We
have many banner suggestions from the community (you can view them all
at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Messages ) and
members of the community are actively engaged in designing our social
media strategy.  Of course, the Foundation will provide support to
those community members.

We have begun and continue a process of outreach to the various wikis
in our projects: we have a dedicated outreach team that's working to
contact every wiki and identify people who are willing to lead the
discussions on their home wiki, or engage in the discussion on meta.

I want to clarify a couple of things:  first, messaging will almost
definitely be project specific.  That is, without a clear and
compelling reason, when reading the banner suggestions, you should
assume that "Meta" or "Wikipedia" would be replaced with the name of
the project you're viewing the banner on.  Obviously, some banners are
project specific, and those will run ONLY on the appropriate project.
(Wikipedia would not get a message targeted at Wiktionary, for
instance, and vice versa, but they would both get messages that were
tailored for the global projects).  Second, when we engage in
translating the messages that will be used, we will strongly encourage
the communities to not just translate but to actually localize.  If
the slogan doesn't make sense in Swahili, for instance, we'll ask the
translators to help us work with it until it does.

One of my colleagues, Sage Ross, a longtime wikimedian, submitted a
theme that I love:  "Edit this fundraiser."  That's really what we're
shooting for: a fundraiser that we all jointly collaborate to create.
We'll have expert support and the group of fundraising professionals
that I work with at the Foundation are top notch, but it's very
important that there be community engagement.  So, please, edit the
fundraiser.  Suggest banner ideas, and just as importantly, join in
the debate about the ones that are suggested!

As you probably know, we're doing banner testing on Thursday
afternoons (Pacific time).  You may not know that we're posting the
statistics as quickly as possible, so that the community can help us
to evaluate effectiveness.  All the stats reports are indexed at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2010/Banner_testing/Stats
  .  The team at the Foundation is working very hard to ensure that we
all have the same information upon which to judge the success and
failure of the banners.

We're engaging in a redesign of the donation process as well, which
will simplify the process, we hope.  The technical testing for that is
beginning now.  In addition, we're testing (hopefully this week) the
infrastructure for targeting banners at specific geographic locations,
which will allow us a great deal more precision in our targeting of
messages.

On the whole, although there's a ton of work yet to be done, I'm
optimistic about our progress so far.

What would make it better?

If you join in the discussion.

Thanks,
Philippe
Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation

philippe at wikimedia.org

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!