[Foundation-l] MusOpen-WMF partnership?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 9 03:10:17 UTC 2010

2010/9/6 Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>:
> See EFF on the project:
> http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/08/musopen-wants-give-classical-music-public-domain
> They say: "We have partnerships with the OLPC project and Wikipedia so
> we'll likely add music to those as well."
> http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2010/09/02/musopen-uses-diaspora-model-to-set-classical-music-rights-free
> You don't need a partnership to upload free music, but do they really
> have one?

Mark Pellegrini reached out to them a while ago to clarify permissions
to upload the Musopen files to Commons:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Musopen

There was a thread on the communications committee list 2 years ago
about giving them some more visibility and credit for the important
work they're doing, but I don't think anything's come out of that. :-(
 I've just posted to the Wikimedia blog about it:

http://blog.wikimedia.org/blog/2010/09/08/musopen-returning-music-to-the-public-domain/

They've exceeded their $10,000 goal, but more support can only help --
I gave $100, I hope others will too. :)

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation