[Foundation-l] Truth in Numbers? Everything, According to Wikipedia

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Fri Oct 29 08:04:53 UTC 2010

2010/10/29 Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>
> The movie is gravely flawed by coverage of poorly founded opinions of
> people who either were never familiar with how Wikipedia works or are
> long out of touch such as Ed Poore and Larry Sanger. There is even
> considerable coverage of the "bumblebee could never fly" variety. Here is
> a list of some of the people who appeared:

The appearance of Andrew Keen is the most disappointing part, because
he babbles about the exact same things he babbled about in the
otherwise good documentary "The Truth According To Wikipedia" (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMSinyx_Ab0 ). I sincerely hope that
it's not the last documentary about Wikipedia, but that it would be
the last featuring Keen.

It's disappointing because, as legitimate as his ideas are, he really
doesn't have anything more to say. It's as bogus as all those studies
that discover that Microsoft software is better than Free Software and
that always turn out to have been funded by Microsoft. Then the Free
Software community laughs at it... and it goes on for years. But
instead of laughing at these studies, the Free Software community
should ignore them and not publish them at Slashdot.

And the same goes for Keen - we could keep dismissing him, but we
should just ignore him instead, at least until he comes up with some
genuinely new criticism. In fact, there are substantial problems in
Wikipedia and if we keep listening to Keen and say that we already
solved the problems he talks about, we may disregard the other, real
problems.

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי · Amir Elisha Aharoni
http://aharoni.wordpress.com