[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation switching to Google Apps?

Zugravu Gheorghe zugravu.gheorghe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 22:35:41 UTC 2010

On 27.10.2010 01:15, Jon Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 15:02, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Erik Moeller, 26/10/2010 23:01:
>>> We've recommended Thunderbird in the past (with some folks sticking
>>> with GMail, yours truly included), but unfortunately it doesn't meet
>>> all our needs.
>>
>> Why?
>>

> All things considered, I like Thunderbird, but it has two main issues for
> us.
>
> #1 - No integrated & centralized calendar.
What about the Sunbird/Lightning extension for the Thunderbird. I think
that the number of manipulation to setup them will be the same with the
amount of setup for Google Calendar.

> #2 - Search.  A number of people have mentioned this to me and I think it
> might be the biggest single issue with Thunderbird that I've seen.  If you
> have a large number of emails, search in Thunderbird works in strange ways.
> It will find some emails that seem totally unrelated to your search term,
> and miss the most obvious ones.  I consider myself fairly adept at
> manipulating search engines into finding what I need and even I have had
> serious issues finding what I want.  It's gone so far that at least one
> staff that I know of took to sorting emails into folders by whom they were
> received from, then color coding each "thread" differently - simply so the
> user could find what they were looking for.
I guess indeed the search in Thunderbird may be not so accurate as in
Gmail (since google started as a search engine - no comments on that) -
but thunderbird has a lot of extension with whom you can do whatever you
want to do with it - including the ones for searching.

And as a small comment: Thunderbird is free (as in freedom) application
and allows to do whatever manipulation with the code (and there are a
bunch of thunderbird customization already available there) - thus if
there is a need this need can solved by the community. - And Wikimedia
could make a call for improvements in the code of TB, which I believe
would have be taken into consideration by the developers. And more
people could have used the results of that - thus generating a better
and smoother application (as in the wikipedia articles).