[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation switching to Google Apps?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Oct 26 21:21:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 4:43 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gmail is just ridiculously better than any other email client I've
> ever used ever, having previously progressed through Pine, elm, mutt
> and Thunderbird. Perhaps it's just me, but I'd guess otherwise from
> the number of Wikimedians with gmail,com addresses.

Well, yeah, that's why I forward my email to gmail.  But I can't
imagine using them for my domain's MX record.  I'd want more control
and flexibility than that.

As a related anecdote, the IRS recently banned gmail addresses when
signing up for a preparer identification number, because Google was
sending their registration password emails to the bit bucket (no, not
to the spam folder, the emails were just disappearing, even if you
explicitly added a filter not to send them to spam).  See
http://www.google.co.nz/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=4e489afd6114c49a&hl=en

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> We're reluctantly switching to GMail as the standard
> email solution, but we'd love to switch to an open solution in future.

Is this going to affect the mailing lists?  OTRS?

Is the WMF paying for this?  What are the service guarantees?  I'd
imagine no on the former.  Being able to add the Wikimedia Foundation
to the list of people who have "gone Google" will be a huge coup.