[Foundation-l] Misplaced Reliance, was Re: Paid editing, was Re: Ban and moderate

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun Oct 24 21:53:15 UTC 2010

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 4:04 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No.  It's more about accountability than about authority.
>>
>> You are claiming you are accountable if wikipedia turns out to be an
>> encyclopedia?
>
> No, that wasn't my claim.  I am, however, accountable for what I say.
> And the idea that Wikipedia could "turn out to be an encyclopedia" is
> silly.  It either is, or it isn't, and in this case, as I have
> explained, it isn't.

Wikipedia is an institution. Funny word, but of great significance.
Marriage is an institution. Parliament is an institution. Universities
are institutions, as is the internet, and war.

That doesn't mean we're a sacred chariot of the gods, a juggernaut, and
entitled to be destructive.

We're 9 years in, going on a hundred, a thousand.

Fred