[Foundation-l] Paid editing, was Re: Ban and moderate

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sat Oct 23 06:02:38 UTC 2010

> I think that the field for professional Wikipedians are exactly PR
> departments and agencies. And I prefer much more to see two or more
> professionals who are arguing by using facts, than two or more amateur
> POV-pushers whose best argument are personal attacks.

So, to take a random example that I have not looked at, what would a
public relations firm hired by the maker of Lipitor be trying to
accomplish? And what is the result if they are skillful in terms of
having collaborative editing skills? Is this now, or could it develop, as
a specialized profession?

Is this different from an agent of Meg Whitman, Fruit Loops, the Anglican
Church, the government of Iceland? Or are they all just another anonymous
editor?

Does disclosure of conflict of interest actually make sense?

Fred