[Foundation-l] Proposal for new project

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Thu Oct 21 13:52:46 UTC 2010

An'n 20.10.2010 20:30, hett Leonardo Oña schreven:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiFix
>
> WikiFix is aimed at explaining *HOW TO* repair different ítems such as
> telephones, microwaves, autos, tables, furnitures, walls, decorations,
> wears, etc.
>
> We should have in mind that each model of a product is specific when
> repairing it since its failure is different, and that is why each page of
> the site will deal with one trouble of a specific model and item.
>
> Articles listed in the site will be grouped in categories such as:
> Electrodomestics, Autos, Houses, Clothes and Shoes, Kitchen accesories, etc.
>
> You can Add your signature to cooperate whith the proyect.
>
> Best regards.
> Leonardo Oña.

I think your proposal is a good idea and that that wiki could develop
into a very useful resource. However it does not fit into Wikimedia.
Wikimedia is strictly about educational content and "neutral point of
view" etc. and your how-to is just the opposite of neutral point of
view. It collects the experience of people from their own point of view.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to offend you, but I want to
avoid any false hopes: there's no chance at all that your proposal will
be adopted. No chance at all. Wikimedia has denied (or ignored) dozens
or hundreds of project requests, many of which were really good ideas
and which were then established elsewhere and have developed into
flourishing wiki communities since.

If you really want to develop that idea, I suggest that you have a look
a Wikia: <http://www.wikia.com/Wikia>. It allows to create your own
wiki. But you should also check whether the project WikiHow
(<http://www.wikihow.com/Main-Page>) is close enough to your idea.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox