[Foundation-l] Free culture?

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Oct 19 21:56:09 UTC 2010

> Nice summary/overview...
>
>> 10% news/events/media coverage
>> 10% pointless digressions
>> 10% snarky comments
>> 10% trolling
>> 10% uncritical discussion of WMF
>> 50% sharp criticism
>
> I wonder what percentage of the sharp criticism gets dealt with?
> Would it make sense to keep track of that statistic?  Using this
> breakdown as a metric, it seems likely to be a significant of value!

Often, "sharp criticism" relates to some aspect of policy which has been
established, sometimes in the earliest history of Wikipedia, by
consensus. It does not hurt to occasionally bring up alternatives, but
foolish to imagine a new consensus will result from even the most
spirited discussion.

Sometimes these discussion resemble an inquiry as to why wheels are not
square rather than round, but they serve to re-acquaint readers with
basic principles.

Fred