[Foundation-l] Free culture?

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 19 19:18:54 UTC 2010

That page is so full of misinformation, it hardly warrants commentary,
but just to point out some more annoying examples:

The part about how "Your non-profit donation will ultimately line the
for-profit pockets of Jimmy Wales, Amazon, Google" is absurd and very
misleading. Sure, Wikipedia external links financially benefit those
companies, and The New York Times, and every other website on the
internet. The money comes from advertising companies though, not WMF
donations. Implying otherwise is disingenuous. Plus, external links are
a content issue and not the responsibility of the Foundation.

And that's just one of many sections erroneously blaming the WMF for
content issues. For example, "A WikiProject of topic lists has existed
since November 2007, but it is still half unfinished" and "the 100
articles about the hundred United States Senators have been shown to
render erroneous, if not libelous, information". Obviously, the
Foundation is not responsible for these issues.

In some parts, the page is simultaneously arguing two sides of an issue.
For example, it complains that the Foundation refused to censor the
Virgin Killers album cover image and "pollutes the minds of children",
but then also criticizes the Foundation for doing the controversial
content study. Which way does he want it? It also complains about the
Foundation not addressing content problems but then says that the
Foundation is risking it's Section 230 protection by being too involved
in content issues. Again, which way does he want it?

Other parts are just flat out false or outdated. For example, "We are
still waiting for Flagged Revisions" or "Wikipedia and all its sister
projects could probably operate on a budget of $1.6 million including
salaries for several IT developers". (The current hosting cost is $2
million, not including salaries.)

Anyway, this probably constitutes feeding the trolls, so -1 for me.

Ryan Kaldari