[Foundation-l] Expertise and Wikipedia redux

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sat Oct 16 18:08:03 UTC 2010

In a message dated 10/16/2010 10:47:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
peter.damian at btinternet.com writes:

> Unfortunately we don't have a better word to describe the effortless and
> thoughtless copying of something from something else, so I will use that
> word.  Note 'incorporates' suggests that only parts of the material have
> been, er, 'copied and pasted'.  This is wholesale 'plunder'.  The
> etymology
> of 'plagiarise' is 'kidnap'.  Perhaps I should have said the articles were
>
> 'kidnapped'. >>

I don't know why you care to isolate one case.  A great number of articles
in Wikipedia started off as exact copies of the 1911 EB.  I've already
stated that previously.

IF you don't like what it says, change it.
What really is the point, of pointing out that "Oh gosh we don't have up to
date articles" when anyone who cares to, can simply edit the article?

"Why aren't we better than we are...."
I don't see this line of attack as fulfilling any useful purpose.