[Foundation-l] [Wiki-research-l] How to improve quality of Wikipedia?

Felipe Ortega glimmer_phoenix at yahoo.es
Thu Oct 14 13:31:45 UTC 2010

--- El dom, 10/10/10, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com> escribió:

> De: Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com>
> Asunto: Re: [Wiki-research-l] [Foundation-l] How to improve quality of Wikipedia?
> CC: "Research into Wikimedia content and communities" <wiki-research-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
> Fecha: domingo, 10 de octubre, 2010 19:45
> Przykuta, 10/10/2010 19:17:
> >  Old talk pages with solved problems are deleted.
>

> This is extremely strange. Talk pages are part of the
> article history.
> Ortega's thesis should be updated, perhaps.
> «The combination of a very active cohort of bots,
> together
> with the very low ratio of talk pages, indicates that the
> Polish
> language version is not following the
> same organizational pattern found in other language
> editions. Such a low
> ratio of talk pages points out
> the little effort undertaken on coordination actions and
> discussion
> about article contents in the Polish
> version.»
> (http://libresoft.es/Members/jfelipe/phd-thesis , p.
> 91)

Thanks for pointing out this, Nemo. I might have missed the thread in Foundation-l otherwise :).

Well, at least this gives a partial explanation for the very low ratio of available talk pages, though I personally think it is not enough to explain such a really really low figure.

In fact, I concur that this is very strange. As far as I have understood up to now, talk pages also serve as a backup log of past discussions for new users approaching an article for the first time. If this is true, then in PL some new editor of an article might run the risk of raising again a issue or a contribution that was already discussed a year ago by editors working on that article.

Best,
Felipe.