[Foundation-l] Please delete mo. wikipedia: Coherent proposal

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:52:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 17:31, Gutza <gutza at moongate.ro> wrote:
>  On 13-Oct-10 18:25, Milos Rancic wrote:
>> That sounds reasonably to me. I have to check what do other LangCom
>> members think about it.
>
> What is it exactly that sounds reasonable to you? I haven't the faintest
> idea what you're talking about. I don't know how the Chinese/Serbian
> engine works -- you're moving ahead with incomplete data.

Conversion engines for Chinese and Serbian Wikipedias (and I think at
least one more) work in both ways.

However, the most important thing is community consensus around the
rules. In the case of Chinese Wikipedia, I think that they are using
both scripts (Traditional and Simplified) inside of the same text (as
both scripts share some characters and as it is not a big deal;
however, I just think that it works like that). In the case of Serbian
Wikipedia, the rule is that the text which has been started in one
script, should be written in the same script.

The both ways are products of the consensus inside of the communities
and doesn't have anything with the software implementation. Thus, you
can say that all texts have to be written in Latin script and just
shown in Cyrillic.

There are also some rewrite rules. For example, the default (based on
amount of texts written in Cyrillic; however, script-neutral) of
Serbian Wikipedia is Cyrillic. If you go to http://sr.wikipedia.org/
-- you will find the page in Cyrillic. However, if you go to
http://sr.wikipedia.org/sr-el/ -- you'll find the same page in Latin
script.

Present and not so perfect solution for Serbian Wikipedia -- but very
elegant for Romanian -- is the method for choosing scripts at the
page. If you go to the default version of Serbian Wikipedia, you'll
see "Чланак" ("Read"), "Разговор" ("Discussion") and the arrow after
them. If you scroll over the arrow, you'll see the options "Ћирлица"
("Cyrillic") and "Latinica" ("Latin").

In other words, you'll have two variants for reading: Latin (default)
and Cyrillic (if explicitly asked).

Options for writing, as I said above, are completely up to your
community. If you decide not to have any article written in Cyrillic,
it'll be so, as it is just up to you.