[Foundation-l] Please delete mo. wikipedia: Coherent proposal

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:25:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 17:10, Gutza <gutza at moongate.ro> wrote:
> I'm not proposing turning ro.wiki to ro-latin-and-cyrl.wiki. I'm
> proposing a gadget that would seamlessly transliterate to Cyrillic *and
> back to Latin again, if possible* -- that way everybody reads in their
> own script, and (if possible) writes in their own script, while the
> database remains 100% in Latin.
>
> I do not envisage any support whatsoever for a solution that would
> involve articles written in Cyrillic on ro.wiki -- that would be several
> degrees worse than the (already annoying) status quo.

What is possible to be done [relatively] fast is Chinese/Serbian
implementation of the engine.

However, it could be used differently than in two previous cases, but
it needs cooperative community.

The first goal is to have Latin->Cyrillic conversion, so people from
Transnitria would be able to read [easily] Romanian Wikipedia. By
policy, you can say that it is not possible to write in Cyrillic, but
just in Latin.

And when enough Transnitrians come to Wikipedia, they would be able to
choose to negotiate with you or to ask for ro-cyril Wikipedia.

That also means that you should make FAQ for Moldovans from
Transnitria about their options.

That sounds reasonably to me. I have to check what do other LangCom
members think about it.