[Foundation-l] Controversial Content Study Part 3

private musings thepmaccount at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 08:59:26 UTC 2010

Hi Robert / all,

I wonder if perhaps folk on the foundation-l mailing list may be able
to help with this issue I'm hoping to clarify as tangetial, but
related to the Controversial Content study;

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Robertmharris#Tangential.2C_but_important

In short, I've had conversations with various volunteers previously
which indicate that material likely to be child pornography has, in
the past, been uploaded to WMF sites, and that dev.s have previously
removed it from servers - what I'm not clear on is whether or not such
material is routinely reported to external authorities (we may well be
talking about only 2 or 3 cases, perhaps per year, perhaps ever?) -
and the process by which a WMF volunteer should follow should such
material rear its ugly head at some point in the future.

Depressingly, I think we should prepare for such an eventuality, and
I'll further take the opportunity to encourage whomever is the
decision maker in such instances to permanently remove the photo at
commons of a 16 year old girl masturbating - currently only available
to 'oversighters' here;

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Robertmharris#Tangential.2C_but_important

I'll heap praise / feedback on the study in general following any
board action / announcement in the coming days / weeks :-)

best,

Peter,
PM.

ps. on re-reading I realise it's sensible to add 'alleged' to the '16
year old girl masturbating' - as ever with this stuff, the intent
could well have been to disrupt all along, and it could well just be a
basic copyvio of online material. We can't know.