[Foundation-l] Please delete mo. wikipedia

Zugravu Gheorghe zugravu.gheorghe at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 18:45:15 UTC 2010

On 06.10.2010 02:22, M. Williamson wrote:
> Marcus Buck wrote:
>> Read <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moldovan_schools_in_Transnistria>.
>> They want to switch to Latin since long but the government does
>> everything to stop them.
>>

> Marcus, that is a tiny minority of Moldovans in Transnistria, and that
> article has many POV problems as well (I gave up long ago trying to
> fix it or reach any kind of compromise - it seems it's on the
> watchlist of every Romanian nationalist on WP).

Romanian schools in transnistria are not a small minority, since there
are few transnistrian schools teaching in romanian with latin script,
that makes, in a highly urbanizes area, few thousands pupils - they
receive support from Moldova's ministry of education, and they study
according to Moldovans school program. And I can assure you that they
don't study any "moldovan language" there. The rest of the schools in
transnistria are russian or ukrainean language schools, where they study
"moldovan language" as a kind of foreign language. I have no statistic
of exact how many schools are studying solely in "moldovan language" or
how many students do actually study in this language.

The revival of a mo.wikipedia for me is quite questionable - since,
starting, as an imperialistic and colonial politics implemented by
Stalin's Soviet Union "nation building" politic it is gaining thus a
kind of legitimacy by bringing it up.

I would like to remind that for short period of time in the 30's the
"moldovan language" did used the latin script, but after returning back
to kirilic few years later. Also I would like to bring up that during
the communist era Moldova/moldovan people/romanian moldovans (underline
what ever you find suitable for you) have undergone through a total of
five different linguistic reforms - during the time when the grammar
rules and vocabulary was radically changing.

I dont underestimate the importance of having a discussion on "moldovan
language" from linguistic or anthropological point of view. But any
administrative actions regarding wikipedia/wikimedia I found it very
questionable and adequate.

regards,
/gheorhghe