[Foundation-l] How to improve quality of Wikipedia?

Przykuta przykuta at o2.pl
Sun Oct 10 17:17:13 UTC 2010

> So perhaps it's something about the way the Polish Wikipedia works? A
> few thoughts:
>
> * Polish doesn't host any images - unlike most other projects - so
> there's no need for image pages, image talkpages, etc. On some
> projects, such as German, as many as 6% of pages are in the image
> namespace!

Yes. We sent all images to Commons. We finished this work last month.

> * Polish doesn't seem to use article talkpages much. I've just spent
> some time hitting "Losuj artykuł", and about 10-20% of the articles I
> found had talkpages. In English, this is about 85-90%, and in French,
> about the same. In the other languages these may just have project
> tags ("this article is part of WikiProject Something") or metadata
> ("this article is rated C-class and needs an image"), but they still
> show up as non-article pages. There's currently ~735,000 articles and
> ~595,000 non-articles; if another 70% of articles were to have
> talkpages - making it comparable with English and French - this would
> make ~1,110,000 non-articles, or 1.5 non-articles per article.

Readers who find errors use "Zgłoś błąd" (notify an error) in menu (sidebar) rather than talk pages.

~1500 edits by month (notifies and answers): http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl?lang=pl.wikipedia&page=Wikipedia%3AZg%C5%82o%C5%9B+b%C5%82%C4%85d+w+artykule

 Old talk pages with solved problems are deleted. Talk pages of dynamic IP are deleted too (we wait ~6 months and delete them by bot). I don't know - is it standard behavior in other Wikiepdias or specific for pl.

> * Finally, Polish Wikipedia has fewer active users than any of the
> next three "smaller" Wikipedias - Italian, Japanese and Spanish -
> which might be significant here. Fewer users talk less, so there's
> fewer "natural" discussion pages.

True - we have only ~300 very active users. We rather use main. One of the most often used slogan is "we work here, not talk". Many times we spend in "flagged revisions" - so, we are sure, that 90% are free of vandalism.

Przykuta