[Foundation-l] Please delete mo. wikipedia

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 00:30:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:56 PM, M. Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it's right to delete content just because someone
> doesn't like it without creating any sort of alternative. In addition,
> I don't see how ro.wp community support would be needed if a separate
> subdomain were used to set up such a gateway - it would really be
> little more than a mirror hosted by the foundation.
>
> All other cases where wikis with content were *deleted* rather than
> just locked fell into two scenarios: content was replaced (zh-tw was
> replaced by a conversion system on zh), or was in a conlang and was
> migrated, sometimes by a 3rd party (toki pona, klingon, ru-sib).
> Cyrillic Moldovan is a legitimate system that is currently used by
> over 100,000 native speakers as a habitual language variety/script
> pairing, there are a handful of websites written in it and it is used
> in an official capacity by a de-facto independent political entity.
>
> It scares me to think that we could delete content, with no
> replacement in sight, for a legitimate modern language variety used
> habitually by that many people in a defined territory (and potentially
> in a diaspora, but that's open to debate and there's no solid
> documentation that I'm aware of), simply due to the expressed dislike
> or anger of a particular group of people.
>
> -m.

I don't think anyone has proposed actually deleting all the content.
Even the OP is primarily concerned about the domain, not the content
itself. My earlier proposal was to move mo.wp to ro-cyrl.wp and
redirect mo.wp to ro.wp. If the community of the Romanian Wikipedia
want to enable fluid transliteration that would be up to them, and it
shouldn't be a condition for the WMF doing the right thing.

Nathan