[Foundation-l] Please delete mo. wikipedia

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 20:30:36 UTC 2010

Marcus, have you conducted a poll of those people? Please don't make
pronouncements of that sort without any research. We are not here to
decide what people should or should not do, we are here to reflect
things as they are on the ground, what is used by people currently,
what is their "native variety" and what they consider their mother
language.

You still have not given a good reason why there should be no ability
for Cyrillic users to create content, using their own alphabet.
Because other speakers of the language don't want it is not good
enough, we are talking here about fencing an entire group out of the
Wiki process simply because of their preferred script.

So, as I see it, there are three choices that abide by the Wiki
process and respect everybody's rights:

1) Re-open mo.wp, possibly at a different domain
2) Enable an automatic converter, but which also allows posting of
content in Cyrillic, possibly to be stored in the database in Latin
3) Enable an automatic converter, which allows posting of content in
Cyrillic, to be stored in the database in Cyrillic

#3 is clearly undesirable for many reasons, and #1 doesn't seem like
such a good idea.

However, your proposal, in which people are locked out of content
creation in Cyrillic, strikes me as discriminatory and I would always
choose a non-ideal solution like #1 over your proposal where people
are unable to create or modify content just for political reasons.

-m.