[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Henning Schlottmann h.schlottmann at gmx.net
Mon Oct 4 18:31:05 UTC 2010

On 03.10.2010 17:03, geni wrote:

> So I can run a 30 second search on the british library catalogue than
> time.

Wikipedia is about people with knowledge collaborating to add their part
to the project. This way Wikipedia is trying to become a repository of
the sum of all knowledge. So only those who have verifiable knowledge
about a subject should become authors and write about that subject.
Those who do not have knowledge should restrict themselves to editorial
tasks such as copy editing, the category tree, vandal fighting or whatever.

Our usual terms are not really helpful for understanding the difference.
Maybe we should stop calling authors editors and distinguish between
those edits that add content and those that process preexisting content.

The point is verifiable knowledge. Unless you have respectable sources,
do not become an author. We don't care if you use google books, your
local library, a large research library, your own bookshelf, respectable
websites, scientific or government databases, the online edition of
respected newspapers, whatever.

But those who don't have verifiable knowledge, should not write for
Wikipedia. Their contribution is at best useless, at worse they use up
time and energy of those who could make better use of their time and
energy by writing content.

"The encyclopedia that anyone can edit" - Everyone may, but not everyone
can. BTW: The German language Wikipedia has this banner on top of the
main page:

Willkommen bei Wikipedia

Wikipedia ist ein Projekt zum Aufbau einer Enzyklopädie aus freien
Inhalten in allen Sprachen der Welt. Jeder kann mit seinem Wissen
beitragen. Seit Mai 2001 sind so 1.130.326 Artikel in deutscher Sprache
entstanden. Gute Autorinnen und Autoren sind stets willkommen.

Welcome to Wikipedia

Wikipedia is a project to create an encyclopedia of free content in all
the languages of the world. Everyone can contribute with his knowledge.
Since Mai 2001 1.130.326 articles in German language were created this
way. Good authors are always welcome.

Ciao Henning