[Foundation-l] Please delete mo. wikipedia

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 09:04:39 UTC 2010

2010/10/4 Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com>:
> Is there any opposition to naming such a temporary project ro-cyrl?
> In your proposal, the converter would eventually be available (as a
> user pref) on ro.wp?

I agree that it should be called ro-cyrl as mo is no longer considered
a valid ISO code, but thinking of that raises an additional problem:
Romanian, like Catalan, is in the relatively uncommon situation of
having two groups of speakers who call it two different things, in
spite of being able to understand each other. Calling Moldovan Latin
text "Romanian" is common and understood, but in Transnistria,
"Romanian" generally means "Latin-script" and "Moldovan" means
"Cyrillic text", though I suppose this could be solved by simply
having a different landing page for Cyrillic users to avoid a
confusing situation.

I do think the converter should be available as a user pref on ro.wp,
but not hidden away somewhere, it should be a tab like on sr.wp or
kk.wp. However, at the present state of national political sentiment,
this seems unlikely to be accepted by ro.wikipedians, many of whom
were offended by the mere idea of the language being written in
Cyrillic. Perhaps a better idea, if this is technically feasible,
would be to have a separate subdomain that was linked to the same
content, so that http://ro-cyrl.wikipedia.org/ or
http://mo-cyrl.wikipedia.org/ (or even http://ro.wikipedia.org/cyrl/
or http://mo.wikipedia.org/cyrl/ ) would automatically access the
transliterated versions of articles. Just some ideas.

Also, since mo: is considered to be a deprecated code for ro, ideally
mo: and ro: should both work for ro: content the way nb: and no: both
work for no: content.

-m.