[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Sun Oct 3 23:06:55 UTC 2010

On 2 October 2010 18:13,  <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> And you've missed the point.
> The entire thrust of our mission is to make readers into editors.

Inasmuch as we have a mission, it is to create "a world in which every
single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge."

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home

> That is the point of an encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

...which is a tool to achieve the goal above.

We should be careful not to mistake the fundamental goals for the
methods we choose to achieve them. Those methods are important, and we
would be lost without them, but they are emphatically *not* primary
goals in themselves.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk