[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Oct 3 16:26:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Peter Damian
<peter.damian at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Against reliable sources (any elementary logic textbook will do) will tell
> you that article is very wrong.  So it is not verifiable.

Ah, but that's not what "verifiable" means according to
Wikipedia:Verifiability.  According to that page, "verifiable" means
"whether readers can check that [the] material [...] has already been
published by a reliable source".  So the article can be very wrong,
and still be "verifiable".

I think you're assuming that "verifiable", as used in
Wikipedia:Verifiability, means the same as "verifiably true", as used
by philosophers.  But it clearly doesn't.  As used in
Wikipedia:Verifiability, "verifiable" means, essentially, "published
by a reliable source".  That's why the mantra is "verifiability, not
truth", and not "verifiability, not just truth".