[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Peter Damian peter.damian at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 3 13:20:52 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Riddell" <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

> Much of what you say here is true, David. However, the task becomes an
> arduous one when the students rule the classroom. The prevailing culture
> in
> Wikipedia, whose dogma seems to be, "this is our encyclopedia, and no
> 'expert' is going to tell us what to do", may seem liberating to some, but
> is preventing the Project from being the truly collaborative one it has
> the
> potential to be.

This is so very very true.  And you only have to lose it your cool once or
twice, and you are out with a block.

Using my earlier 'gardening' analogy I am going to make some suggestions
over the coming week.  The analogy was a garden where the good plants are
struggling to grow, and the place is becoming infested with weeds.  Rather
than blaming the plants for not growing, a good gardener would apply small
changes to help the good plants.  For example, trim back a tree that was
causing shade.  Apply fertiliser (organic of course) in appropriate places.
Perhaps (but this may not be neceessary) pull up a few weeds.  My experience
of gardens is that small changes to the microclimate can make big positive
changes to the garden.

Here are some initial ideas - all of them small incremental ones that would
involve little or no change to Wikipedia policy or governance.

1.  Get someone from WMF or even Jimbo to make a keynote statement about
philosophy - perhaps alluding to the problematic state of many of the
articles, and the need for editors to collaborate together and help.
Something is needed to improve the morale of the remaining editors there.

2. An initiative to highlight 5 "top importance" articles and get them to GA
or FA.  There are very few FA status articles, compared to the rest of the
project.

3.  Another initiative to re-classify the top 50 articles in terms of
importance and quality (I looked at this and some are wildly out of line).

More ideas next week.  Any ideas from the others here?

Peter