[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 21:44:59 UTC 2010

On 2 October 2010 22:00, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree with you, David, that credentialism isn't the way forward. But asking editors, nicely, to please do some research and to check what scholarly literature is available, in google scholar, in google books, and in academic publications databases, should not be too much to ask.

The problem is how to avoid making rules against stupidity. Because
you can't actually outlaw stupid. Experts already complain about
uncitability. I suppose we could advise experts on how to use citation
as a debating tactic.

> This is something where the Foundation could perhaps help, by asking universities who support our work whether they would be willing to grant Wikipedians -- or at least a limited number of Wikipedians -- some sort of affiliation status, so they could log into these databases the same way their students do.

I believe this has been mooted on many occasions. I also think it
doesn't address the problem of the aggressively stupid who won't take
in that they're being stupid.

- d.