[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 20:32:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 3:21 PM, dinar qorbanof <qdinar at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/11/28  <WJhonson at aol.com>:
> > I'm still not clear why we would want to know the IP exactly for
> analytical
> > purposes.  Some intrepid programmer could write a program which would
> > simply collect detailed analysis of a person's in-world behaviour and
> call them
> > "Bob992" instead of 13.42.204.192 or whatever.  Making the information
> > packets anonymous.  That would still allow any sort of analysis the
> Tatars want to
> > make, and not reveal any private information.
> i just has not thought about that as threat. theoretically ip
> addresses can be used to count how much wikipedia readers are in
> russia regions. such statistics is made by russian counters:
> liveinternet, and maybe, mail.ru . but i do not know whether any tatar
> can get such database to make such counter for wikipedia logs.
> probably some russian companies can make such analysis for russian and
> tatar and other wikipedias of languages of russia.
> >the Tatars want to make
> on the one hand, i do not represent [all] tatars, and on the one hand,
> i think i represent also other language native speakers.

The sampled 1/1000 squid logs can be used for statistical purposes, such as
page view stats.  Someone more techy can answer that better than I can, if
the samples include IP addresses that could be used w/ geoip for geographic
analysis. (I think perhaps not)

Here are the page view stats generated from the squid sample logs:

http://dammit.lt/wikistats/

http://stats.grok.se/

For other analysis of readership, we do get stats from comScore, but that's
survey data from panelists and nothing to do with logs.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Stu/comScore_data_on_Wikimedia

-Katie (@aude)