[Foundation-l] should not web server logs (of requests) be published?

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 20:25:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 2:30 PM, <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> I'm afraid our Tatar is correct in some senses and others in this thread
> are in a failing  or failed mode.
>
> Each web server, of which the WMF has a few, collects details on the
> behaviour of IPs, in logs.  Those logs can be and probably have been
> requested by
> certain government officials, most likely for the purpose of tracking down
> who is behind a certain "Bad" posting to a BLP.

CheckUser data (IPs of editors) are kept for 3 months.

http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/CheckUser/CheckUser.php?view=markup

WMF does not keep apache logs which would track what pages people are
reading.''

http://noc.wikimedia.org/conf/httpd.conf (see CustomLog which is commented
out, meaning that access logs are not kept)

There are some logs for the squid servers which are used to generate page
view stats, but those take a 1/1000 sample and there are full squid logs for
click throughs on the fundraising banners.

http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Squid_logging

So, we do not have readership logs except for the sampled squid logs.  For
performance reasons, it's not desirable to collect more detailed logs, nor
would we really want them.

-Katie (@aude)