[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Wikidata

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Mon Nov 22 21:24:48 UTC 2010

(also including foundation-l as this isn't really a commons-specific discussion)

On 22 Nov 2010, at 21:04, Samuel Klein wrote:

>> A wikidata project could use semantic mediawiki from the outset, and
>> be seeded with data from dbpedia.
>>
>> A lot of existing & proposed projects would benefit from a centralised
>> wikidata project.  e.g. a genealogy wiki could use the relationships
>> stored on the wikidata project.  wikisource and commons could use the
>> central data wiki for their Author and Creator details.
>
> +1
>
> Could this be part of dbpedia?

dbpedia is about collating the information available on Wikipedia and providing that as a database for others to use. This is about having a central information store that can be edited to add information. Whilst dbpedia could seed wikidata, they're very different projects in the way they would operate.

In my opinion, the Wikimedia Foundation should very seriously look into starting something like wikidata. I don't suppose there's a facilitator that could be hired that knows about Wikimedia sufficiently to facilitate an on-wiki discussion and formation of a comprehensive proposal to start this project, including bringing together the various people interested in this project?

Mike Peel