[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation Ombudsman

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 13:06:47 UTC 2010

On 22 November 2010 07:26, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:

>> What are some examples of particular current problems that you feel
>> this position would fix?

> I'm not sure I agree that this position is designed to fix any current
> problems. The task of fixing the problems lies with those currently in power
> at the Wikimedia Foundation. However, in order to address problems, problems
> must be clearly defined. That can be the role of an ombudsman. Like most
> ombudsman positions, the task inside the Wikimedia Foundation would be to
> point out the problems and encourage discussion of them (cf. National Public
> Radio Ombudsman's blog).

OK, no particular current problems, but you think that it might be
worth putting into place in general.

I was thinking in terms of "if there's no particular problems in need
of solving, then there's no reason to create a new position." But as
you point out, there are working examples in other nonprofits that
make media, which does make the idea seem more likely to be a useful
one.

>> Why is this particular proposed position the tool to fix them?
>
> Sometimes it's best to look at how other organizations have addressed an
> issue and take lessons away from them. There isn't a need to always reinvent
> the wheel, so to speak. It seems like an accepted practice among reputable
> organizations to implement an ombudsman position.

That's a plausible purpose, yes.

> Is there a reason you think an ombudsman position would not work at
> Wikimedia?

Not that springs to mind.

>> How do you envision this tool working in your example problems?

> One proposed idea is to have a "Wikimedia fellow" fill the position. There
> are other solutions for implementing this idea, but there are issues of cart
> and horse order, I think.

Looking at existing models would probably be the first thing to do.
MOVED: Mzmcbride to assemble report. ;-p

> The original e-mail was asking if there had been past discussion about this
> idea or if there any virtue to it. You seem to have not answered either
> question. :-)

I couldn't think of any and I didn't know of any, hence asking for
more detail on what you were thinking of.