[Foundation-l] A question for American Wikimedians

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 11:10:37 UTC 2010

Glad to read this question here, have often wondered about this myself.

User:Emelian1977, an African American PhD student named Brenton Stewart,
conducted a survey of Black American Wikipedians in 2008. I can only find a
short write-up of his study online:

---o0o---

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:v_96mBI74-MJ:ocs.sfu.ca/aoir/index.php/ir/10/paper/view/185+%22Brenton+Stewart%22+black+wikipedia&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Paper 2: Working for Free: Motivations Behind Black Contributions to the
Wikipedia Project

The dirty little secret of the Internet is that it’s built upon free labor.
Internet labor exists in a unique dualism in that the production and
reproduction of web and social networking sites as well as the design of
some computer games and software are manifest as entertainment, leisure or
hobbyist escapism - but not as labor. Greg Downey (2001) argues that this
type of “flexible labor is hard to see” noting that “the commodification of
the virtual serves to mystify the material.” Few entities in the new
digital economy have capitalized upon this form of labour extraction better
than the Wikipedia Project, the world’s first peer-produced online
encyclopedia.  However, Wikipedia’s sole reliance on unpaid laborers means
that it reflects the interests and biases of these contributors who are
overwhelmingly homogeneous. This study is a descriptive investigation into
the factors that influence African American contributions to the Wikipedia
project.  Situated within Tiziana Terranova’s (2001) social-factory theory
this research seeks to understand the role of racial/ethnic identification
as a motivator, Wikipedia as a space for the extension of black
volunteerism, and the topics most frequently edited by this community of
Wikipedians.

The findings suggest that while these Wikipedians contribute
as a form of entertainment and support for the democratization of
information they are also motivated by their racial/ethnic identity, highly
cognizant of their minority status and tended to view their edits (labor)
as a transgressive act that is ultimately beneficial to the black
community. This research argues the social-factory forms the foundation of
not only Wikipedia but also a multitude of online peer-produced communities
such as Facebook, MySpace and YouTube. What is most significant about these
communities is that their end product, the cultural knowledge of the
masses, is freely given and results in enormous revenue for their parent
companies. This investigation contributes to diverse literature including
media and library & information studies as well as cyber and community
activism.

---o0o---

I'll let that stand there without comment; there are obviously several
ways one can look at that.

I know of at least one African American admin on en:WP, but only a handful
of other black Wikipedians. A while ago I took part in discussions at
[[Ancient Egyptian race controversy]]; my impression was that black editors
there were given quite a hard time -- resistance to including works by
black scholars, because they were deemed unreliable, etc., the standard
POV stuff. I tried to help out for a while, but then got sidetracked.

The influx of Indian editors will be an interesting challenge. I firmly
expect that at some point over the next 10 or 20 years, Indian editors will
have something like numerical parity with Western editors. At the moment,
being in a minority, they have trouble getting their points across.

Look at [[British Empire]] for example, which paints a fairly rosy picture
of colonialism which would be considered ridiculously POV in India, or at
[[Famine in India]], an article written with a more Indian POV, where some
of the same opponents are battling it out. What's NPOV depends on whether
you allow Indian sources or stick to Western sources.

On top of it, an en:WP bureaucrat recently blocked an Indian editor in good
standing without prior warning and without talk page notice, for 2 weeks,
for "trolling and pov pushing at British Empire and talk" (currently at
AN/I). Same crat also commented to another admin on their talk page,

---o0o---

How the WMF sees India as the new goldmine and is making a big din there
with speaking tours and likes. More like a goldmine of copyvio, ethnic and
religious fundamentalist POV. There will be a flood of dudes like
{{User|X}} if their initiative works, which'll be funny. As you can see on
the mailing list, which is public, all these leaders are queueing, IPL-
style feeding frenzy. X is after me, lol

---o0o---

The other day, the same crat appeared to call another Indian editor a
"retarded nationalist" in an edit summary, never showed up for the
resulting AN/I thread, and escaped without any sanction whatsoever.

A few mostly Indian editors have recently argued that the article
[[Ganges]] should be renamed [[Ganga]], as that is now the river's official
name in India. Now, to be sure, this is not a clearcut case, as Ganges can
still be found in a few Indian sources, and the name Ganga is only making
slow inroads in Western news reporting -- it does occur a few times, but
not that often yet. But one brilliant, tell-tale comment in the discussion
was, "When Britain and the USA start using Ganga predominently instead of
Ganges, then the article could be changed."

Now, this is India's holy river, and we always go on about how we want to
educate kids in poorer countries. But we are telling kids in India that
they can't read about their national river in an article that bears the
name that is the river's official name in their country. Comments like
that, "When Britain and the USA start using Ganga predominently instead of
Ganges", are just arrogant and unfortunate, and an extension of the
colonial mindset. If the US changed the spelling of Mississippi, I bet that
Wikipedia would follow suit the same day, regardless of whether the media
in India had caught up with that change or not.

So I think one reason why we don't see more diversity is that the
established, predominantly white user base is giving editors from other
backgrounds a pretty hard time!

Cheers,
Andreas