[Foundation-l] Paid editing comes of age

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 00:05:46 UTC 2010

Most current paid editing gets deleted at Speedy, simply because the
organization has no serious claim to being notable. People who
deliberately write paid articles on topics they know hopeless are
unethical; if they write them without knowing, they are incompetent.
But this sort of thing is not the current problem, for it's no more
difficult to handle than the even larger amount of similar articles by
volunteer editors.

The problem with the more competent of the people writing for pay is
not that they try to flout Wikipedia rules, but that most of them have
assimilated only the more superficial elements of the technique . They
do not adequately understand the difference between promotional and
informative, and they typically include inappropriate content such as
contact information or a long list of products. But this is  fairly
easy to spot. It would be easier to spot if they declared their
status, and I think a rule against paid or other COI editing that we
do not enforce  is  unproductive-- if it is good editing, we cannot
detect it, and if it isn't, we do not need the rule any more than with
bad volunteer editing.

And of course there is the continued existence of the reward board,
which is in direct contradiction to  policy, but would not be if we
accepted declared COI or paid editing.

As for the proprietor of this service, I've just been removing from
the article on him article one of the clear signs of COI/promotional
editing , the excessive use of his name.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.