[Foundation-l] A question for American Wikimedians

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 17:13:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 14:47, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although the most of participants in this discussion understood me
> well, I want to be clear: I am talking about the specific 30M+ big
> ethnic group living in US, which is named today as "African Americans"
> and which ancestors came there as slaves. I am not talking about the
> the second generation immigrants from, let's say, Nigeria, which would
> say for themselves that they belong to, for example, Yoruba people.
> The second group is much more like any second generation immigrants.
> So, obviously, there are two types of African Americans and I am
> referring to one particular group. And Obama doesn't belong to the
> first one in the same way as, for example, Manute Bol didn't. It is
> not because of the characteristics of their skin or lashes, but
> because of their distinct cultural backgrounds.

As it is pointed to me privately, I have one corrections and one clarifications:
* First, my impression wasn't that Obama was raised inside of the
African American culture (first meaning). However, it is pointed to me
that he was; which means that I was wrong in relation to his cultural
background.
* Second, it is obviously not clear that inside of the construction
"which ancestors came there as slaves" I was referring to the culture
developed by slaves and their descendants , not to the genes.