[Foundation-l] A question for American Wikimedians

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 10:03:25 UTC 2010

2010/11/18 Ryan Kaldari <rkaldari at wikimedia.org>:
> So for 200 years it's OK to classify anyone with a drop of African blood
> as "black" (and subject them to all forms of racism and discrimination),
> but once a 1/2 African is elected president, he can't be called "black"
> all the sudden?

> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule
>
> Ryan Kaldari

My mail was not about whether calling Obama black is OK or not OK.
What's OK in the US might not be OK in Europe and vice-versa. I've
made the point that different cultures have a different vision of
races and especially about people of mixed origin.

What is not OK from my POV is people finding offensive to call him
"almost black" or anything else than black, as Steven Walling
suggested, that I don't really understand. It seems to me like the
fact (anthropological fact, that is) is skewed to...what purpose
exactly? But again, this is a European's POV, perhaps in the States it
really is necessary to call Barack Obama black.

Strainu