[Foundation-l] Should we offer to host citizendium?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 09:13:58 UTC 2010

Hoi,
Providing help to an organisation that can be considered part of the
Wikimedia movement makes sense. The issue with Citizendium is that they
explicitly distance themselves from many of the basic corner stones of what
has made Wikipedia what it is.

Citizendium does not add anything to our own projects and given the existing
policies for new projects it is a competing project to the English language
Wikipedia and as such it is a third encyclopaedic project in the English
language. This makes for a limited offer of help ie no adoption.

The notion that Jimmy should not be involved in order to prevent
"triumphalism" is naive. Even when he is not to be involved, he will be
asked by the press to comment. He may and he will. Asking him not to be
involved is not feasible because as a board member it is his job to have an
opinion and  be part of the decision process. It should also be clear that
he will certainly not be the only one who will see this mishap of
Citizendium as a vindication of the Wikimedia model.

Giving Citizendium a breathing space for a limited time period is fine with
me. This should in my opinion be on the basis of providing them hosting on
iron. Iron separate from the WMF infra structure. When it is to be for a
limited time period, it should be plain what happens when such a time period
will be exceeded. <grin> I would even like the idea of us helping
encyclopaedia Brittanica in a similar way </grin>
Thanks,
      GerardM