[Foundation-l] Should we offer to host citizendium?

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 08:12:48 UTC 2010

Would not opposed or see this as a drama issue. After all it doesn't involve
editorial involvement or conflict of interests, it would be clear (and clear
to anyone in public) that no editorial influence would be implicated.

My only concern is on precedent - is this a good one (we help others in the
free knowledge/education world) or a bad one (our bandwidth is open to be
used by any forum or website with a story to tell). Would perception and
reporting in the media that we altruistically can help others (positive
views) or that we take over or dominate others (even if untrue, negative
views)? is there any risk that it would be seen as compromising our stance
and neutrality ("Wikipedia hosts/hosted Citizendium!)

:last, I'd look for specific agreement what happens if they cannot regain
financial stability and independence. Do they linger indefinitely, or
dwindle indefinitely, on WMF servers? Do they start to need other forms of
help? Do we get the bad press if we have to shut them down? What if such a
situation descends into antipathy (there's been antipathy before, we don't
need to invite more in future). Do Citizendium's users get a say or will
this be done without their consensus (and hence possibly get anger from some
directed at WMF)?

For all these reasons I'd want clarity and openness on the various "what
ifs" and how they are agreed to be handled, in a way that all can see that a
prior and mutually endorsed decision process was followed in that
eventuality.

Those would be my questions. They may be fine, but they are the ones I would
focus on as deciders, given that bandwidth and tech support will probably
not be a huge factor (use their own server or make a spare one available?).

FT2