[Foundation-l] What can we do? (was: Copyright terms, again)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 19:10:24 UTC 2010

On 11 November 2010 18:25, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, this is not the full list of possibilities. Canada should be
> the option, too. Other countries? If WMF is not able to hold such
> servers, we have chapters.

Chapters would be ideal bodies to build up servers for such material,
that may not be free enough for Commons copyright paranoia under US
law but are definitely clear under local law.

I suspect there may still be problems transparently integrating such
material into Wikimedia. Not that anyone is likely to sue in practice,
but such a workaround really just wouldn't suit the way Wikimedia does
things - bending over backwards to be absolutely sure images really
are free.

- d.