[Foundation-l] the annual advertisement discussion

Noein pronoein at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 21:46:33 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 19:44, Fred Bauder wrote:
> How many billions in potential advertising revenue do we leave on the
> table each year?

Please don't take this as any personal attack, but did we reach such a
philosophical and wise government in the foundation that we now wish to
talk about opening the dams of money?
The day that the community at large (that is, a massive consensus, not
representatives) agrees completely about a very specific project with
crystal-clear intentions and critical-trusted [*] agents, THEN and only
then should we start talking about founding *directly*, not through
intermediate organizations.

[*]: once again, critical trust is the kind of trust one obtains after
having access to all the necessary data to make a judgment in complete
liberty of thought.

On 08/11/2010 18:10, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> Another hard word.. cupidity: "avarice: extreme greed for material wealth".
>
> I appreciate the sentiment. However, the material gain from advertisements
> is not going to make us personally rich.
Since I was born I have only found a handful of saints who handle
millions of dollar without getting rich themselves. Let's say that my
lack of luck has put a sense of rightful distrust towards projects of
power and money. I'd like a complete understanding of who would be doing
what with Wikipedia if it were to become a source of income, because
we're talking about an incredible sum of good willed efforts, of people
who believed in an ideal, versus an incredible source of corruption.
I'd like to be sure that the monstrous altar we're building since 2001
will not end as a making money machine. Id' like to be doing the right
choice about this.

I would require such conditions to vote with a full awareness of the topic:
First show me the need for this money.
Then show me a huge consensus about this need.
Then I would accept, and I think I'm speaking the community's mind, to
discuss about how we want the financing done.

> It will enable us to do more and
> different things.
Of course it will. Money can do everything, the best and the worst. But
it won't be our money, it will the money of advertisers, who will
threaten and reward us endlessly with their coins according to THEIR
goals, until the first cedes. It's letting the wolf into the sheep pen,
says a french saying. [*]

[*]: "enfermer le loup dans la bergerie".

> Things that are currently outside of our reach. When we
> use such monies frugally, the benefits will be enormous and, this is quite
> the opposite of your sentiment.
This ideal outcome is beautiful, really. But it won't happen the ways
things are currently.
That's precisely because I believe in Wikipedia's vision that I must
advocate for financial freedom from third parties and reject your proposal.