[Foundation-l] the annual advertisement discussion

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:52:22 UTC 2010

Hoi,
The accountant states that there are no financial ties between Wikia and the
Wikimedia Foundation.

The Wikimedia Foundation clearly develops for its own purposes. Wika does
develop MediaWiki and MW extensions. Their software is licensed GPL as well
and their code is available. They are much more sophisticated in fostering
communities then we are in the WMF. If we choose to, we can use the
functionality that Wikia developed.

PS as it is open source, Wikia software is localised at
translatewiki.netjust like MediaWiki itself.
Thanks,
       GerardM