[Foundation-l] Funding Sources of Medical Research, was Misplaced Reliance, was Re: Paid editing...

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 01:28:48 UTC 2010

Not so. The difference is we document reliable sources, we don't create
them.

A user writing "X said Y" is not verifying that Y is true. They are
verifying that X said Y was true. They need to show evidence that any third
party can check, why they believe "X said Y" is true.

Once that's done, the status of the editor is immaterial - because they
themselves are not creating anything so their ability to create information
isn't at question. They are simply saying "this is what X said, this is
where anyone can check X said it and form their own view".

By contrast academics and researchers writing papers are forming their own
view. So the factors going into that are crucial to assess the quality and
basis of that view and reliance a reader may wish to personally place on it.

FT2