[Foundation-l] No, even a couple of Google ads on each page would be a fatally bad idea

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 16:39:35 UTC 2010

On 5 November 2010 17:02, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... and compromise content, as TV Tropes found out:
>
> http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Administrivia/TheSituation?from=Main.TheGoogleIncident

That's not a problem with adverts. It's merely an incompatibility
between Google's policies and the site. If we fell victim to the same
policies, we could just choose another advertiser to work with
(although, in reality, Google would bend over backwards to get their
adverts on our sites and would relax their policies).

That is not the reason why we should have adverts. The reason why is
that adverts can create a perception of partiality.