[Foundation-l] Left on the Table

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Fri Nov 5 23:53:18 UTC 2010

An'n 05.11.2010 23:44, hett Fred Bauder schreven:
> How many billions in potential advertising revenue do we leave on the
> table each year?
>
> Fred

According to alexa.com Facebook has a 3-month global pageview share of
4.74010%. Wikipedia has 0.52984%. That's about 1/9th. According to
Wikipedia Facebook made US$800 million in revenue in 2009. 1/9th is
US$89 million. Of course that's not a realistic number. Just an
extremely vague approximation of an theoretically possible value.
Wikipedia has the advantage that our content has very defined topics and
ads matching the article's topic should be much more relevant and
interesting to the user than Facebook's ads. But on the other hand
Wikipedia is much more limited and cannot use prominent and intrusive
ads, which will limit the possible revenue. And of course Facebook has
(again according to Wikipedia) 1700+ employees while Wikimedia has just
a small fraction of that. It's hardly possible to create similar revenue
as Facebook without additional employees.

Even will all their revenue, Facebook is not yet profitable.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox