[Foundation-l] Evil Book

???? wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 22:08:31 UTC 2010

On 01/11/2010 21:24, Fred Bauder wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:04 PM, Ryan Kaldari<rkaldari at wikimedia.org>
>> wrote:
>>> As has been rightfully pointed out to me, if these robo-book publishers
>>> are following the terms of the CC-by-sa licensing (which is doubtful),
>>> there isn't really anything we can do about it. I just wonder what will
>>> happen to the online book market once wikipedia robo-books become 50%
>>> or
>>> more of the search results (which is already true in some obscure
>>> cases). Perhaps Wikipedia will inadvertently cause the demise of Amazon
>>> and the rebirth of local bookstores.
>>>
>>> Ryan Kaldari
>>
>> While that would be a result devoutly to be wished for, I expect it will
>> rather more likely lead to Amazon tightening policies on what they will
>> help distribute -- not that that would be a bad result either.
>>

>> --
>> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]
>
> Yes, this seems below whatever low threshold they have. I'm going to
> forward this to internal and see if we can't get some action.

How is this a problem the articles are licensed CC-BY-SA the book is
advertised on Amazon as being a collection of WIKIPEDIA articles. That
someone knowingly spends $50 on it is surely there own fault.

        Attribution: To re-distribute a text page in any form,
        provide credit to the authors either by including a) a
        hyperlink (where possible) or URL to the page or pages
        you are re-using, b) a hyperlink (where possible) or
        URL to an alternative, stable online copy which is freely
        accessible, which conforms with the license, and which
        provides credit to the authors in a manner equivalent to
        the credit given on this website, or c) a list of all
        authors. (Any list of authors may be filtered to exclude
        very small or irrelevant contributions.) This applies to
        text developed by the Wikimedia community.
        http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Terms_of_Use

*shrug* seems that all they have to do is put a URI on a page. Of course
as more of this type of book is produced it may make the general public
think that wikipedia has some finger in the pie.