[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Tue May 25 01:33:08 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Rob Lanphier <robla at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As William alluded to, a bunch of us have been studying the user interface
> for Flagged Protections and figuring out how to make it more intuitive.

Thanks for asking about the name -- though I suspect there's nothing
that will make everyone happy it's better to ask and hopefully get a
better name out of it.

>   - "Pending Revisions" - this name is very consistent with what everyone
>   will see in many parts of the user interface, and what it will be used for
>   (i.e. providing a queue of pending revisions)
>   - "Double Check" - this was a late entrant, but has the distinct
>   advantage of clearly communicating what we envision this feature will be
>   used for (i.e. enforcing a double check from a very broad community).

I like Pending Revisions, which is basically what's going on, and
seems to convey the whole process (pending for what? someone may ask).
I also like Revision Review or Edit Review, though those could be
interpreted as a review of something else, like all of the edits. Of
those choices the former is alliterative, the second slightly less
jargony.

Double Check is cute but I would think also prone to
misinterpretation, since I dunno how much checking will go along with
flagging a revision. And double check what? Facts? Misspellings? I
like the names that emphasize that it is revisions/edits that are
getting checked. Maybe the explanation of "what is this" could say
something like "Pending Revisions is a a process to double check
edits..." as a compromise.

-- phoebe

<at> gmail.com *