[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

Erik Zachte erikzachte at infodisiac.com
Mon May 24 21:03:55 UTC 2010

I don't believe we should aim at a completely meaningless name out of
concern that some people may not get the finer details of what we try to
convey.

If we make that a rule for all features yet to be named we will again have
made our world a bit more impenetrable.

Remember how our 100+ acronyms are often cited as big hurdle for outsiders?

Revision Review (or any similar term) clearly signals this is a human
process, which IMHO gets it 80% right already.

If Mediawiki had been named Mediawiki Engine, and Wikimedia had been named
Wikimedia Organization, part of the current confusion for outsiders would
already have gone.

They may not understand from the name what kind of engine, of what kind of
organization, but they will have less trouble to tell these terms apart.

Erik Zachte