[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon May 24 17:25:34 UTC 2010

On 05/24/2010 07:34 AM, David Levy wrote:
> I disagree.  I think that it should be as clear as possible that this
> process exists to counter inappropriate edits, not as an Orwellian
> measure intended to be used indiscriminately throughout the
> encyclopedia (because we want to "double check" good edits before
> allowing them to attain normal status).

That's an interesting point, and one I hadn't thought about. I could see
it going either way. On the one hand, names are powerful. On the other
hand, they lose some of their power once familiar, and the Wikipedia
community is often so thoroughly skeptical that calling the feature Free
Money For Everybody might not be enough to cause indiscriminate use.

Either way, it's a good point, and I hope that people weighing in on
this think of names from that angle too.

William