[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon May 24 17:21:24 UTC 2010

On 05/24/2010 08:31 AM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>   We could use a name which expresses_nothing_
> about what is going on, thus making it clear that you can't figure it
> out simply from the name.

That did cross my mind, and it was tempting. But practically, many busy
journalists, causal readers, and novice editors may base a lot of their
initial reaction on the name alone, or on related language in the
interface. By choosing an arbitrary name, some fraction of people will
dig deeper, but another fraction will just retain their perplexity
and/or alienation.

Basically, an arbitrary name struck me as a wasted opportunity to convey
at least a hint to a lot of people, so I didn't even suggest any names
like this.

William