[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon May 24 15:31:24 UTC 2010

On 05/24/2010 07:34 AM, David Levy wrote:
> Rob has explicitly asked us to comment on these names and set up a
> forum in which to do so (and propose alternatives).  You've vigorously
> defended the name drawing the most opposition and declined to comment
> on the name drawing the most support, and that's fine.  But please
> don't suggest that we're wasting our time by doing what Rob asked of
> us.

I'm not arguing for any name in particular. I have argued against some
notions about names that I think are incorrect. Broadly, I think it's
easy for insiders to incorrectly use themselves as proxies for what
regular users will think. That's a very common mistake in my field, so I
spoke up.

But I said before and I say again that am avoiding having an opinion on
whatever the best name is. It's a lot of work to do it properly,
especially for me as an insider, and I don't have time for it right now.
I'm not suggesting that people are wasting their time working on this,
and in fact think just the opposite. I think it's great, and supported
bringing this up for community discussion.

William