[Foundation-l] Renaming "Flagged Protections"

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat May 22 01:09:43 UTC 2010

On 22 May 2010 01:54, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Rob Lanphier wrote:
>> In trying to solve the user interface problems as well as generally figuring
>> out how we're going to talk about this feature to the world at large, it
>> became clear that the name "Flagged Protections" doesn't adequately describe
>> the technology as it looks to readers and editors. It's a tough name to work
>> with. This iteration of the technology is very different from the German
>> implementation, and there's no "flagging" in the proposed configuration.
>> Additionally, "protection" in our world implies "no editing" whereas this
>> feature actually opens up pages currently protected so that everyone can
>> edit.
>
> Stop, take a deep breath, and look at the big picture: nobody cares.

While that is true, making up names without any real thought is what
has resulted in the mess we have now where most people have no idea
what the differences are between Wikipedia, Wikimedia and MediaWiki,
since the names are all so similar. I think taking a little bit of
time to come up with a sensible name is a good idea.