[Foundation-l] FlaggedRevs - Do you forget about other projects?

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Fri May 21 14:16:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:02 AM, putevod <putevod at mccme.ru> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:50:32 +0200, "Daniel ~ Leinad"
> <danny.leinad at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I thought it is up to the community how the interface is translated
> into
>>> Polish.
>>
>> It is not problem in translation to one language. There is problem in
>> source language. All translations should have the same sense as in
>> source language.
>>
>> Leinad
>>

> No, this is up to you. In Russian Wikipedia, we had a vote how the status
> of the patroller should be called. (Accidentally, my suggestion has been
> accepted).
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

All aspects of the interface are indeed configurable, like you said.
And this is useful when projects want to tweak the wording or add
additional information. They should not be used to illustrate different
concepts across the different languages though.

And as Daniel has pointed out, there is a difference between the
meaning of "sighted" and "checked" or "review" and "approved."
These differences may be subtle, but they do matter. And it should
not fall on the communities to "fix" translations that have worked
just fine for quite awhile now. When you change the meaning of
an English message in MediaWiki, you affect all other supported
languages as well. This is a regression in FlaggedRevs.

-Chad